Steve Hillage and Miquette Giraudy: Interview

Steve Hillage and Miquette Giraudy have been making psychedelic music for more than five decades. They first played together on Gong’s delightfully deranged album You in 1973, collaborated on one of the keynote statements of early ambient music with Rainbow Dome Musick in 1979, and in more recent years theyve been making fine techno recordings as System 7.

In this interview, they talk about how they met, the trippy realities of life with the Gong collective, Giraudy’s experience of being one of the very few women synthesizer players in 1970s progressive rock, how they got involved in the acid house scene, and Hillage’s elucidation of the decades-long “quest for the psychedelic experience in music”.

What was your first connection with electronic music?

Miquette Mine was meeting Pierre Schaeffer and Stockhausen because I was working in French TV. I was working as an editor and I did an interview with Stockhausen.

One of the films you worked on with director Barbet Schroeder [‘La Vallée’] had soundtrack music by Pink Floyd [released as the album ‘Obscured by Clouds’].

Miquette I did two movies with the Pink Floyd music - one called More [1969], filmed in Ibiza, I was editor and I was doing the continuity, and then La Vallée [1972, in which Giraudy also acted].  

So how did you come to start playing electronic music?

Miquette I don’t know if I can tell you that... I started because I started taking acid. And this kind of opened my mind about music - first it was my eyes and then it was my ears.

Steve, growing up in the UK, you must have been aware of pioneers like Delia Derbyshire and the BBC Radiophonic Workshop?

Steve I was, because of the ‘Doctor Who’ theme and things like that. I mean anyone growing up in the sixties was aware of that but also my cousin was a tape recorder nut and he was doing stuff with tapes and editing. I think he even showed me how to do echo, when I was in my early teens, this was a start for me.

I think growing up in the sixties there was a pre-psychedelic electronic ripple effect – things like Joe Meek’s ‘Telstar’, the soundtrack of Forbidden Planet, the Radiophonic Workshop and Doctor Who, all this stuff was seeping into our consciousness. And then of course you had all this stuff done with studio work like The Beatles with ‘Tomorrow Never Knows’ and ‘Strawberry Fields Forever’, and of course ‘Good Vibrations’, and then what Hendrix was doing with a guitar on songs like ‘Third Stone from the Sun’. And when I first went to university, one of my friends had Switched-On Bach and we used to listen to that on acid, and then there was Pink Floyd – A Saucerful of Secrets, Ummagumma

I think that all this work with tapes, with echo and with feedback and effects and then the synthesizer, was part of a quest for the psychedelic experience in music; this was the big thing that happened from 1966, 1967 onwards. I mean, once you heard ‘Tomorrow Never Knows’, you couldn’t ever unhear it; it changed your whole outlook on music completely.

Miquette Rainbow in Curved Air.

Steve Terry Riley, Rainbow in Curved Air. I first heard Rainbow in Curved Air played by DJ Jeff Dexter at a concert at the Roundhouse. I was saying, “What’s that? That loop, it’s fantastic how it’s changing as it goes along.” It really blew my head off.

The next big breakthrough moment was the Tonto’s Expanding Head Band album Zero Time, particularly the track with the synthesized vocal, ‘Riversong’, that was an absolute breakthrough moment. After I met Miquette and I was in Gong, we used to play that a lot in our room to enhance our psychedelic experiences. And we ended up working with Malcolm Cecil actually, in 1977, he produced one of my solo albums [Motivation Radio]. That was after he started working with Stevie Wonder.

And by then there had been another development of course - we really got into funk. And the mixture of funk and electronics, this is one of the roots of techno and dance music. Because you have to remember that Detroit is not just the home of Jeff Mills and Juan Atkins and The Electrifying Mojo, but also George Clinton and Motown. This city has a tradition that goes way back – then you add Kraftwerk into the mix and, lo and behold, you get something new.

Miquette, how did you get to be an electronics player with Gong?

Miquette I arrived because I was living in Paris and I was an editor and I was assistant on a movie with a painter called Martial Raysse [Le Grand Départ, 1972]. Then I had all these completely crazy stoned guys arrive in my studio when I was editing the film. And then I broke up with the painter I was with, and Gong told me, “You can come live with us.” So I came to live with them [in rural France]. There were like 25 people there, so one more was OK. I first did some kind of dancing, tambourine, singing, you know, hanging around getting stoned. And then Tim Blake was there with his synth, and that blew my mind. I wanted a synth like Tim Blake. And that’s how it went.

And what was the experience of actually being in Gong like, how did Gong live?

Steve Well, we lived in a community house in France. That was the best period, when we were there, because we unfortunately lost the house at the end of 1973 and had to move to England, which wasn’t quite so good. But it was partly out of practicality that we lived together. It wasn’t so much a commune ideal. It was just very convenient to have everybody in one place and we had a really good music room where we could play and rehearse a lot. So a lot of the time we were in Gong, particularly when we were in the French house, we were playing music all the time. It was fantastic, we were just living the music and doing lots and lots of gigs, recording and just music all the time.

Miquette Music has always been the centre of our life, between him and me. Always.

The great mid-seventies trilogy of Gong albums [Flying Teapot, Angel’s Egg, You], were you trying to make music that  would recreate a psychedelic experience or enhance a psychedelic experience?

Steve One of the things that attracted me to [Gong bandleader] Daevid [Allen] - because I was a kind of fan of Gong before I ended up joining, so it was a great privilege for me being a kind of fan to be able to join my favourite band - one of the things that impressed me early on about David was I felt he was holding a torch for genuine psychedelia after the whole movement had kind of unravelled at the end of the sixties with things like Altamont and Charles Manson and all those horrible aspects.

He was holding a torch for pure psychedelia and he gathered around him a disparate band of people all looking for the same thing. Of course, it was very volatile mix – everyone in the band with strong personalities, and so in a way it was doomed to disintegrate, which it did. But at the same time, the spirit of Gong carried on. It’s still happening to this day. As I once said, Gong is a band you never really leave.

Basically we just were just looking to explore this sound and that was the driving force for us. Obviously, Daevid had his own thing with the lyrics and the artwork and the story, explaining everything in his mythological way, which we found entertaining and amusing. But as far as the musicians of Gong were concerned, we wanted to move forward with the Gong sound. It had elements of trance music – the repetition, the glissandos – and it all was aimed at enhancing and stimulating a psychedelic state of mind.

Miquette, you were one of the very few women involved in so-called progressive rock at the time.

Miquette I was not examining my position as a woman, I was just doing it. I was living it. I was in it. I didn’t think about it or intellectualise it. It was just pure heart, you know?

More recently I got to know there were women like [electronic composer] Suzanne Ciani and Éliane Radigue, who worked with Pierre Schaeffer. I didn’t know them before. I had no idea.

Steve Gong also had another female presence as well, [vocalist and Gong co-founder] Gilli Smyth. She was a very special, unique element of the Gong sound. She used her voice like it’s a synthesizer.

Miquette Gong really was psychedelia.

Steve In terms of psychedelic bands, Gong was the real deal. I mean, it really was the real deal. And I think one of the things that was important about Gong is that we were really good players, technically I mean. I don’t think there were any other psychedelic or space rock bands that were also able to play stuff a bit like Weather Report or something like that. I think we were quite unique in that respect.

I want to ask you about your ambient record Rainbow Dome Musick because that is an album that’s taken on greater importance as time has passed. How was it made and what did you want to achieve when you made it?

Miquette We’d stopped all drugs.

Steve Yeah, we were in a ‘not taking drugs’ period. We wanted to make a record that got you really high without taking drugs. That was one aspect of it. But it was actually a commissioned piece for the Festival of Mind, Body and Spirit, which happens annually still to this day in London. They wanted to do a really big one in 1979 at Olympia [exhibition centre], and basically they had this sculptor-artist gentleman called Rupert Atwill who was planning to make a central area which was not aligned to any particular creed or cult or spiritual practice, it was just a sort of place where you could go and relax from the whole rest of the thing and it was called the Rainbow Dome. And they hired us to do the music for it. So it really was music for the Rainbow Dome.

Our sound engineer at the time [John Newsham] later became one of the founders of Funktion One, which is a well-known sound system company. There was a pseudo eight-channel octophonic system for playback, and I was there to play the tape  continuously and that’s what we made the music for. In a way it was one of the first ever chillout rooms and people would wander in and would lie down, some people would go to sleep, some people would skin up and chill out.

We were living in the country at the time and we made the music quite rapidly in our studio, on eight-track, and Rupert Atwill the sculptor who made the rainbow sculpture as well as the [Rainbow Dome] environment, he came down and he helped us with it and participated.

The track on the first side of the album [‘Garden of Paradise’], it was you [Miquette] who did it, it was very innovative, two sequences playing with the same notes but in a different order at slightly different speeds, playing together. It was quite unique what you did on ‘Garden of Paradise’, that sequence, it would be hard to recreate. We were planning to recreate it for a live thing but it never came off.

I read somewhere that you used to do parties with your sound engineer John Newsham, who also founded Turbosound [sound system company] with Tony Andrews before they founded Funktion One.

Steve We used to have parties, Turbosound parties, in about ’74, ’75, and they were like early raves and he was playing Funkadelic and we’d have mushrooms.

The thing about Tony and John and Turbosound is that they got very involved in the very early raves in ’88. They were one of the one of the various factors that propelled us into eventually doing dance music because I remember  taking a call once from John saying, “You know we’re doing these amazing events, you ought to come down sometime, it’s fantastic, it’s really where it’s at.” They were bringing their personal rig, not even for money, they were just doing it because they  thought it was great. And then in ’92 they did the ‘experimental sound field’ at Glastonbury with Underworld.

I want to ask you about the producing the Simple Minds albums Sons and Fascination and Sister Feelings Call. They were really important electronic rock albums. Did the band have an idea they wanted to go for this kind of German kosmische sound when they started out?

Steve Well, I mean, they already had demos of some of the songs so it didn’t all come out of thin air. And that’s where we bonded because when I first met them we started talking about German psychedelic music. And we kind of bonded over this because I knew some of the guys, the German musicians I was friends with. This sort of gave me a lot of kudos. And yeah, we used to play Michael Rother and Neu quite a lot in the studio a kind of vibe enhancer. They were into it, you know? And I suppose the fact that I was into it as well meant that we maybe focused on that aspect a bit more than on their previous records.

One thing that’s very important - Mick McNeil, the synth player, he was responsible for a lot of the actual electronic sound. And incidentally, we got him to collaborate with us on the first System 7 album as well. And he actually came from a family of musicians, traditional Scottish musicians. He was in a traditional Scottish band before he joined Simple Minds. And for some reason, he got a synthesizer and was trying to use it playing sort of traditional Scottish reels and jigs.

When you know that, you listen to some of the synths and you can hear that Celtic element in there. That’s what makes Simple Minds really special, they’ve got a really special sort of take on the whole thing. Of course, at the time as well, there was a sort of a new club boom happening and there was a there was a lot of interesting stuff around like Cabaret Voltaire and things. When they called it futurist. That’s what it was called in the music press, futurist. That’s the thing of thing that  whetted my appetite for getting more and more involved in the clubs because we were actually doing our 12-inch mixes so they played them in the futurist clubs.

How did you get involved with the acid house scene?

Steve Well, as I already mentioned, it was John and Tony doing the sound for the early raves. And we were already involved in the club scene from my experience with Simple Minds and the futurist clubs and we were going to Heaven when Richard Branson first bought it, meeting the DJ and watching him playing records in synch and things like that. I've never seen that before.

But I think two things I’ve mentioned are very important. One is getting involved with funk and electronics together in the seventies and working with Malcolm Cecil. I think that’s a very important basis of innovation - funk meets electronics. You add things like Kraftwerk into that mix, and you’re practically there.

And the another thing as well, I often say is, when I was in Gong, particularly in ’73 when we had the house in France, we were playing all the time in the music room and I was working with echo, starting to get my echo loop sound and finding that like if I got absolutely perfectly in sync with the echo on a loop, I’d go into some kind of interesting wormhole. And that's a very trancey sort of musical state.

And I used to jam with a drummer, Pierre Moerlen, he’s a brilliant drummer. And I remember very distinctly saying to him, “Pierre, it’s really nice you playing along with this echo loop but you know, if you can please keep it the same tempo, you’re slightly speeding up and it's going out of sync with the echo.” And he turned around to me, a bit pissed off, and he said, “Look, I’m a human being, I’m not a machine. If you want something that plays perfectly in tempo all the time, you should be playing with a drum machine.” And I remember thinking, “That sounds like a good idea.” And that’s in 1973. So I’d say that was an important step on the way.

Then it was a big catalyst moment when we met Alex Paterson [of The Orb, DJ in the chillout room at the Land of Oz acid house club night at Heaven in 1989].

It must have been quite surprising to see people from this new generation picking up on music from your past.

Steve We had the feeling it was all destined to happen. We just got more and more interested in the club scene and the development of electronic rhythms and house beats all through the eighties. And then suddenly it was happening all around us.

Miquette I remember arriving [at the Land of Oz] and Alex Paterson was playing Rainbow Dome Musick – but with a beat under it. That was a beautiful surprise.

Did you see the acid house scene as a kind of psychedelic renaissance?

Steve We were very attracted to acid house because of the acid in it. That’s the old joke anyway. Basically, a lot of psychedelically-orientated people moved away from rock music into the developing electronic music scene in the eighties. We thought, “This is it, this is what we’ve been looking for.”

It was a time of exploration, wasn’t it?

Steve It wasn’t just a purely hedonistic thing. There was another dimension to the whole thing, people looking for a higher meaning. And I remember one of the things I used to like about early dance music events, having come from a rock band background, was rather than having the big star on stage and the audience of disciples, there was a much more feeling of equality. I know that's been lost a bit now in the era of EDM and all that nonsense, but I mean, at the time, that was something I thought was really, really cool. There were a lot of egalitarian attitudes.

Funnily enough, on a consciousness level - I wasn’t really aware of it at the time, but in the nineties I started reading about [New York DJ] David Mancuso. Very interesting chap. One of the pioneers of disco, he used to take acid while he was playing [at The Loft club]. And it was like a sacrament, you know, the whole thing. I think he’s an important figure but I wasn’t aware of him in the eighties.

What would you say was the link between System 7 and what you were both doing with Gong?

Steve We had this idea before we met Alex [Paterson], developing from the mid-eighties. The original idea was some of the psychedelic guitar sounds and Miquette’s synthesizers put over a really cool house beat would sound really good and it would give us something unique . That was basic idea. And that's still the basic idea in some respects.

We thought we might we try and make really cutting-edge dance music grooves and put our sounds on top of them, which in some ways the same sounds that we had in the seventies. You obviously develop them and progress in some ways, but also we’re using some of the same techniques. That’s what gives our music a fairly unique sound.

Interview by Matthew Collin for ‘Dream Machines’, October 26, 2021.

Photo: System 7 Facebook page.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stephen Morris: Interview

Don Letts: Interview